Saturday, March 08, 2008

Girl put your records on


I don't know if I mentioned it here- probably not considered how I was out of blog mode for so long, I got a record player for Christmas. If you haven't somewhat guessed I love music. I mean LOVE it. I pretty much love all kinds of music too although old school jazz, blues, classic r&b, and 80's music hold a special place in my heart for some reason. Anyway, I ramble. I got a record player for Christmas. I informed my honey that I wanted to get into collecting because it's just my style. It reminds me of my childhood, now, don't get me wrong, I'm not that old and we had one of those big ol floor stereos with a tape player AND record player but I definitely remember my mother playing her Sade or Earth, Wind, and Fire records and my uncles DJ-ing and myself as a kid looking through several crates of hundreds of cool covered records while Luther or Atlantic star played in the background. I remember hanging in the basement searching through my uncle's crates of records just to see what he had. There is just something so authentic and organic and soul stirring to me about records. It makes me think of Smokey Robinson and Barry Gordy writing songs and cutting records at the hit factory in Tamla Records (I wrote a report about Motown and Barry Gordy when I was in the fourth grade)- what exciting/frustrating times they must have been. It makes me think of my mother. I know who she is through that music…through these records.

Anyway, you'll be seeing records make an appearance from time to time now and here's a couple that I found with Gudo and Weet a few weekends ago.

From L to R: David Sanborn, George Benson, Eagles, Compilation record w/ Ross, Stevie, and 'nem, Luther, and Smokey & the Miracles,.

1 comment:

Nik said...

Oh, how you bring back memories.

I had an uncle who used to take over the record player when he came over for family "get togethers". He would keep the party going by playing my mom's records. We also had one of those stereo systems with the tape player.